Become a Volunteer
(information accurate as of June 2022)
Please take the time to fulfill the volunteer requirements of our school district. They have four levels of involvement, each one needing the lower requirements completed. Levels 3 and 4 are most flexible, since they can work alone with students without a teacher being present, although there are also many roles for Level 2 and Level 1 volunteers.
Level 4 volunteers are the only ones who can drive students, and 1-2 Level 4 drivers are needed for most band long day trips and for some other events. If you are willing and able to obtain a Level 4 clearance, it would be of great help to the Band.
Descriptions of volunteer levels, information about applying to volunteer, and Level l forms (Application to Volunteer, Volunteer Code of Conduct and Volunteer Confidentiality Agreement) are found at https://www.slcusd.org/departments/human-resources/volunteer-information and can also be found below.
There are two sets of instructions below: One for first-time SLOHS volunteers and one for returning SLOHS Volunteers.
If you have any questions regarding your SLOHS volunteer application, please contact SLOHS receptionist Heather Diesta at email@example.com as she will have the most current information.
For Band-specific volunteer questions or assistance, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
First-Time SLOHS Parent Volunteers
To facilitate volunteer clearance processing, please ensure that all necessary items are included and complete before turning in your paperwork to SLOHS.
To start, download and print the Volunteer Application Packet below or at https://www.slcusd.org/departments/human-resources/volunteer-information
Please turn in a hardcopy of your volunteer paperwork to SLOHS receptionist Heather Diesta at least one week before you are planning to first volunteer (for 2022, Band Camp starts August 9th). If you are getting fingerprinted, allow at least two weeks after your fingerprint appointment before submitting your paperwork (so get fingerprinted at least three weeks before you plan to volunteer).
**MAKE SURE YOU SAVE A COPY OF ALL DOCUMENTS SUBMITTED** This can be a hardcopy or digital files, or both. That way, if your paperwork is lost (which has happened), you can easily resubmit it.
Once your application is turned in to SLOHS, please email the SLOIMBA Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com so they can add you to the list of Band volunteers for 2022-23.
First-Time SLOHS Volunteer Paperwork Requirements (turn in hardcopies to SLOHS receptionist Heather Diesta and show ID):
- Level 1: Application to Volunteer (VIPS), Volunteer Code of Conduct, and Volunteer Confidentiality Agreement (3 pages total), and proof of COVID vaccination (see Volunteer Application Packet for details)
- Level 2: Level 1 requirements + TB Screening/Clearance Certificate. (Lasts for four years). Information below.
- Level 3: Level 2 requirements + Fingerprints on file with SLO County of Education (no additional paperwork submitted with application – SLOHS will verify fingerprints). Information below.
- Level 4: Level 3 requirements + additional driver paperwork. Information below.
TB Clearance for Levels 2, 3, and 4
- If you need a TB test/clearance, you can get a clearance at the SLO County Department of Public Health on Johnson St. for $20. In most cases they will not need to do an actual test and you can get the clearance the same day. You must call ahead for an appointment (805-781-5500) and as of June 2022 they are booking appointments about 2 weeks out.
- You can also get a walk-in TB skin test at MedStop in Madonna Plaza. So far there does not seem to be a long wait once you walk in (about 15 minutes). You will have to return 48-72 hours after the skin test to receive your clearance. The cost is $16.
Fingerprinting for Levels 3 and 4
- Fingerprints must be on file at San Luis Coastal School District (SLCUSD).
- If you have been previously fingerprinted for SLCUSD, write the approximate date of fingerprinting at the top of the Volunteer Application (VIPS) form.
- If you have not been previously fingerprinted for SLCUSD, you must be fingerprinted via LiveScan. Please allow at least two weeks for SLCUSD to receive the results.
- Option 1 – SLOCOE: fill out the form below entitled “District Consortium Live Scan Request Form” and make an appointment by phoning the SLO County Office of Education (SLOCOE) at (805) 543-7732. Information about where to go is at https://www.slocoe.org/divisions/human-resources/fingerprinting-general-information/. SLOCOE Fingerprinting cost is $80. (Appointment availability at SLOCOE seems to be limited.)
- Option 2 – UPS Store: Fill out the form below entitled “Request For Live Scan Service” and contact the UPS Store on Foothill or the UPS Store on Broad for cost information and to set up an appointment. (The UPS store on Johnson does not appear to offer Live Scan services) (This is a new option. If you go this route, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with cost info and any other useful information)
- Option 3 – Somewhere else: List of Live Scan locations in SLO County. Use the form entitled “Request For Live Scan Service”. (This is a new option. If you go this route, please email email@example.com with cost info and any other useful information)
Level 4 (Driver Requirements)
- Instructions for Transporting SLCUSD Students form. Found in form packet below.
- Volunteer Driver Information form. Found in form packet below.
- DMV Authorization for Release of Driver Record Information. Found in “DMV Form for Level 4” Packet below.
- DMV Driver’s Record. Obtained from the DMV online at https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/customer-service/request-vehicle-or-driver-records/online-driver-record-request/. Cost is $2.00. You do not need an official record; the printout obtained online is sufficient. If you have trouble printing the record, you can screenshot the record or save the page to pdf. Note: Some of the older forms refer to the “DMV H6” Report. This no longer exists. It has been replaced by the DMV Driver’s Record.
- Copy of the first page of driver’s current Automobile Insurance Policy Declaration
- Copy of current Insurance Card
- Copy of Driver’s License (front only)
Returning SLOHS Parent Volunteers
Returning SLOHS Level 1, 2, and 3 Volunteers: Good news! Once you are cleared to volunteer at SLOHS, if you are a Level 1, 2, or 3 volunteer the only thing you have to do is provide a new TB clearance if your current one will pass the 4-year mark after July 1st. You do not need to turn in new forms each year as we were instructed to do in the past. If you need a new TB clearance, see above for TB clearance information and email a scan (or turn in a hardcopy of) your updated TB clearance to firstname.lastname@example.org
Returning SLOHS Level 4 Drivers: Update TB clearance if required (same as returning Level 1, 2, 3 volunteers) Provide (by email is OK to email@example.com) copy of this year’s Insurance Card. If Driver’s License has renewed the last year, provide copy. If Auto Insurance company has changed since last year, provide first page of Policy.
Football Game Volunteers
Join the fun, meet other band parents, and be a part of your student’s band world!
All volunteers meet the Volunteer coordinator outside Stadium Entrance to get game pass. See Charms for your start time, as things can change at each game.
Pit & Bleacher crew meet at Band Shed (Shipping Container) to the left of the stands by the track.
Uniform Support Crew – 4 Volunteers (Level 3)
Help students with uniform needs before the game, half-time and one or two volunteers after the game.
Meet at the Band Room before Call Time.
- Place racks in both rooms for ease of changing. Racks are unbuilt, in the band closet.
- (1 person) Place a table outside for plumes. Get boxes of plumes from band closet and put on gloves. Attach feather plumes to hats.
- (1 person) Set-up wagon outside to haul flip folders. Place milk crates in wagon and wait outside the door. Give reminders to place flip folders there. Many students will toss them in as they’re running out to get into the block. Pull wagon to stands before students sit down. Place crates into stands. Students leave flip folders on stands at halftime but should take their own back to the band room at the end. Return wagon and left behind folders to band room after game.
- Help secure hair and hats. Attend uniform needs such as broken shoe laces, lost buttons, shoe wipes, black socks, and hair supplies.
- After students walk to field, clean-up uniform support supplies. Place Crazy Hat boxes on the band room floor. Lock band room. Go watch game.
- After half-time show, be at band room right before they arrive. (Watch from the field?)
- Remove feather plumes.
- Students will change out of uniforms. Ensure they are hung correctly, especially the pants. Shoes are cleaned and placed in garment bag. They return marching hat/box to closet door.
- Students must be properly clothed for the stands. No boxer shorts.
- After the game and before leaving to Firestone, uniforms must go in a car.
- Clean-up uniform support supplies and tables. One late shift helper stays (@9:30) until all students have left.
Photographer – 1 Volunteer (Level 2)
Take close-up pictures of posed students as well as action shots, for families to enjoy.
- Photograph band students outside the band room and in block formation.
- Take photographs of the pre-game and half-time shows from the field or stands.
- Upload pictures to share on the Google Shared Drive “Tiger Media” and SLOHS Band Closed Facebook site.
Bleacher Support Crew – 4 Volunteers (Level 1)
Reserve a section of the stadium stands for the band to sit. Remove ropes after the game.
Meet at the Band Shed (Shipping Container) to the left of the stands by the track.
- At Band Shed, load folding wagon with bleacher covers, ropes/black & gold ribbon and two poles.
- Also, first aid kit, waters/cups/garbage bags, small banner, caution tape.
- When JV game ends, set up barrier rope. Block off area from first aisle to @ 5 feet from Orange section and from front fence up to the last four rows in the back.
- Attach seat covers. Leave first row uncovered for percussion instruments.
- (On Laguna Band night, will need more rows for percussion, so block must increase in size in the back. Confirm with drum major.)
- Hang band banner at the top of section.
- Tie water jugs at the end of every other bleacher with bag of cups/garbage bag attached.
- Sit along the edges of the block to keep non-band attendees from sitting in area or walking across roped area.
- Students perform before the game then sit down in stands.
- Before the end of the half-time show, one parent places Caution tape by ramp on visitor’s side to ensure band students walk up ramp and not the dirt hill. They can slip and crush instruments.
- During half-time & third quarter – keep others out of empty band area, protect instruments and flip folders left behind.
- Post Game – 2 Volunteers – After game ends, remove/fold up bleacher covers, band banner, barrier rope, first aid kit, and water. Place in wagon and return to Band Shed. Throw away trash.
Pit Crew – 5 Volunteers (Level One)
Help with loading, unloading, and staging band equipment at football games and marching competitions. The Front Ensemble or Pit consists of the instruments too large to carry onto the front of the field such as marimbas, amplifiers and drum major podiums.
Meet the Pit Crew coordinator at the Band Shed (Shipping Container) to the left of the stands by the track.
- Drive golf cart with trailer to/from stadium to place drum major podium for pre-game show and Star Spangled Banner.
- At Half-time – help students unload/load equipment on field for performance.
- After performance – Drive golf cart pulling trailer with equipment back to loading area, unload equipment and return to Band Shed. Volunteers park golf cart & trailer inside shed. Band Shed (Shipping Container) is to the left of the stadium, on the track.
- Please sign-up to help at Tuesday Night Rehearsals at 6:45 p.m., which allows the Pit Crew time to practice before football games.
Take videotapes of the pre-game show and half-time show, which helps students to make improvements. Must have your own video equipment!
- Get a game pass bracelet from the Volunteer coordinator at the Stadium Entrance.
- At 6:30 pm, set-up tripod and equipment on the top of the press box.
- Record the pre-game (6:45 pm) and half-time show. Used for marching review in class
- Upload videos on the weekend to the Google Shared Drive “Tiger Media” for Ms. Jeskey to use in class on Monday.
Band Booster Concessions Table – 2 Volunteers (Level One)
Sell items at the table inside the stadium entrance. Extend hospitality to visiting band members. You can still watch the pre-game and half-time shows. Close up table during the third quarter.
Arrive at 6:15 inside the stadium entrance. You’ll work with the concessions coordinator, who may already have set the table up, with items underneath.
- Help set-up posters/display. Make sure cash box is ready.
- Sell Spirit Beads. We’ll have colors for the other teams.
- Sell Hoses. Sell Tote bags via flyer, with sample at the table.
- Promote fundraising events. Accept donations, offer receipt.
- Talk with band alumni. Share our contact info.
- Create a presence of strong band supporters at SLOHS.
- Extend hospitality to any visiting band members/families.
- Take down table during the third quarter.