Volunteers are critical to the success of any high school band. We welcome your involvement and look forward to working with you. First, however, we need some information from you. Please download the forms from both the links below and follow the steps to get authorized to for volunteer work with students in our school district.
Please sign-up on Charms to get a pass into the game.
Uniform Support Crew – Level 3 Volunteers
- The uniform crew is present before and after an event to support uniform needs. After the game, a new slot has been made for overseeing clean-up and helping to close band room.
- Arrive at 5:30 or 15 minutes before Charms’ call time.
- Report to the Band Room and receive a game pass lanyard.
- First thing, remove bleacher items, load onto wagon and put outside.
- Bleacher items are in the back right corner: Bleacher covers, small band banner, caution tape, ropes/black and gold ribbon and two poles, orange water dispenser, cups and small first aid kit. Also all of the empty milk crates.
- Set-up two tables.
- One as a water-bottle filling station on the right.
- Another as the plume table on the left.
- Assist with uniform distribution. Help with securing hair and hats. Attend uniform needs such as broken shoe laces, lost buttons, and shoe wipes. Attach feather plumes to hats. Clean-up uniform support supplies.
- Return to the Band Room right before students arrive after the half-time show.
Remove feather plumes and put items away.
Students will put on crazy hats, but should otherwise be properly clothed for the stands.
- Ensure that students have hung their uniform correctly, have put their shoes in the garment bag and hat in its box. Remind them that they’ll need to put them in a car after the game and before leaving for Firestone.
- Clean-up uniform support supplies. Two late shift helpers stay until all students have left.
Bleacher Support Crew – Level 1 Volunteers
- The bleacher crew sets-up the band section, holds the area during the band’s absence and takes down the band area supplies after the game.
- At 45 minutes before the game, go to the Band Room and receive a game pass lanyard.
- The Uniform Crew will place all bleacher supplies outside of the band room.
- Set up barrier rope, attach seat covers, hang band banner at the top of section.
- Monitor band section to prevent non-band attendees from sitting in area.
- During half-time & third quarter – keep others out of band area, protect instruments left behind.
- Bleacher Post Game – 2 Volunteers – After game ends, remove/fold up bleacher covers, band banner, and barrier rope. Place in wagon w/ flip folders, crazy hats, water and return all items to storage shed.
Pit Crew – Level One Volunteers
- The pit crew oversees loading, unloading, and staging band equipment at football games and marching competitions. Chip Hastings, VP of Operations, 805-748-7115.
At noon – Golf Cart is connected to charging station by adult volunteer.
- At designated time in Charms – All volunteers meet at designated area and get game pass lanyard. Adult volunteers supervise/help students: loading/unloading trailer with equipment, drive golf cart pulling trailer to/from stadium, moving of equipment not on trailer, podium setup and removal for pre-game.
- At Half-time – Supervise/help students unload/load equipment on field for performance.
- After performance – Drive golf cart pulling trailer with equipment back to loading area, unload equipment and return to Storage Shed. Volunteers park golf cart & trailer inside shed.
- Note: Homecoming anticipate five extra pit crew volunteers.
- Get a game pass lanyard at the Band Room.
- Photograph band from field or stands.
- Upload pictures to share on the Tiger Media Shared Drive and SLOHS Band 2017-18 Facebook.
- Get a game pass lanyard at the Band Room.
- Set-up tripod and equipment on the top of the press box.
- Record the pre-game (6:45 pm) and half-time show. Used for marching review in class
- Upload files to Tiger Media Shared Drive for Ms. Jeskey to use in class on Monday.
Band Booster Concessions Table
- This hospitality crew sells items and promotes fundraisers. Arrive at 6:15 at the stadium and let the SLOHS staff member at the gate know you’re with the band to can entrance. You’ll be met by Lara or Greg Baxley with the items.
- Help set-up or take-down table and posters/display.
- Promote and sell fundraising items.
- Talk with band alumni and give them our contact information.
- Accept donations, offer receipt.
- Create a presence of strong band supporters at SLOHS.